Friday, January 3, 2014

Organized Kids Bedroom

Hi All,

I hope you're having a great start to the new year.  This post is for those who are striving for a more organized home this 2014.  Judging by flyers and stores I'd say a lot of people are.

We live in a 3 bedroom, 1500 sq ft. house with five children.  Sometimes things seem a little cramped but I try not to complain since there are so many in this world who live in a one room shack.  When I hear of others complaining of their 2000 sq ft house being to small for a family of four I think of how spoiled we really are.

Anyways, right now we have four kids in one room and one in another.  In this one room, which we will focus on, is able to fit two bunks beds.


I hung a cork board in their room to hold inspiring quotes, pictures of friends and their morning and night routines.  I'm planning on revamping this board when my son moves into his own room and the little one moves in here making it an all girls room, but for now, this is what it is.  They each get a hook to hang their pj's in the morning, and the clothes they pick out the night before on.  Can you spot that beautiful green bin?  Well that is for any items that don't belong in the room, that migrate in.  I just pop it in there and when I'm ready at the end of the day, or week I take the bin and deliver the items to their home.



 The end of the bunk holds their library books out of the shoe rack that I turned into a book sling.  You can find the original post and tutorial here.


I managed to fit two dressers into the room.  One is hidden in the closet. 


The other is a four drawer Malm dresser from Ikea.  I love Ikea.  I used to pile the clothes in their drawers but it wasn't effective.  When your clothes are piled, you can't really see what's underneath and if you pull something out from under, you end up messing your pile.  Just a hot mess.  Instead I double fold the clothes and pile upright (does that make sense?).  I do this is my dresser too!  This way you can see all your clothes at once and when you pull something out they all stay neat. 


I like to use dividers for all the little items.  I've used cardboard boxes, shoe boxes and even make my own out of cardboard but I went to Ikea (did I mention I love Ikea?) and bought these little bins.  


I have a NO TOY rule in the kids rooms.  They are allowed a few stuffies and books, but that's it.  Bedrooms are for reading, getting dressed, quiettime and sleeping, nothing else.  This way I control the amount of stuff in their room.  There is usually nothing under their beds and very little elsewhere.  We have routines for picking up clothes and rotating through books.  Vacuuming is a breeze when there is little to get in the way.

Blessings,
Christina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...