Saturday, August 1, 2015

Car Seat Canopy

We recently acquired a baby bucket car seat from a friend that was getting rid of theirs.  The only thing was, it was missing the canopy.  Not sure what happened to it but I wasn't complaining, it was free!  It still had the plastic brim that holds the canopy up, but it was broken.  It was held together by some duct tape.  For some strange reason I thought, no problem, I'll just make a new canopy.

Well I did just that. 

I don't have any pictures on how I made it but I'll try to explain what I did.
My husband suggested we add strength to the plastic brim with some Popsicle sticks and then add more good ol' duct tape.

I first measured the length of the brim and added 1".  Then from the top of the brim I measured down to the back and added 2" to allow room for a casing for the elastic.  I used purple for the brim and cushioned it with some leftover batting. I then sewed the purple to the rest of the fabric that I chose.  I was able to pop off that brim to sew on the fabric.  It was a little awkward with the machine but in the end, persistence prevailed.

There is elastic added to the back to keep things snug but movable.

Because the fabric was one big square, I had to gather the fabric at the sides.  I just tucked it underneath and then sewed that in place.

And that's it.  Even though I had no idea on how to go about making this, I am thankful it turned out well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...